Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Packing

So what's a gal to pack for a 3 month stay on a remote Icelandic Island in the North Atlantic Sea, where she's told she may well experience all 4 seasons in a single day? Allow me to bore you with the details. A warning to fashionistas, my pallet is black white and grey, but my mind is filled with color as is the place in which I will be traveling.

Packing List for 3 month stay on the island of Heimaey and a couple of weekends in Reykjavik:
  • Several electrical converters and a transformer for laptops and appliances - because one wasn't good enough - it's a long story...


  • swim suit, cap and goggles - because I plan to spend an awful lot of time in the natural "geothermal" hot spring swimming pools they've got there

  • yoga clothes
  • travel wallet

  • purse


  • 3 month supply, because who knows what they've got over there
  • Kinoflex Super 8 movie camera - with filters - cuz I'm old school
  • modern conveniences - cuz I'm also not crazy

  • leather jacket
  • windbreaker
  • rain slicker
  • shorts - because I am defiant - the guidebook said not to bring them
  • 7 t-shirts/tank tops - layering is the key

  • my play
  • the last 3 New Yorkers - finally cover to cover, I swear
  • a friend's play which I promised to read on the plane
  • notebooks for writing and sketching and my favorite kind of pens
  • long johns cuz the guide book said to bring 'em - pishaw, it's summer!

  • two gifts from a trusted friend - a candle and a dish to hold my jewlery
  • a hairdryer I bought in Scotland after the one I brought blew up (it's a long story) Supposed to work in Iceland too.
  • Far too many connector cords for various components - a billion dollars to whomever invents the universal electrical cord!
  • important papers and stuff
  • 7 pair of panties

  • 2 cute tops
  • 1 Lil black dress with boots and tights - for that weekend in Reykjavik
  • 2 long sleeve shirts - cuz it seems to be 50 degrees and rainy a lot 
  • 1 skirt - to wear with 2 cute tops
  • 1 pair of slacks - cuz a gal just never knows when slacks might be called for

  • digital camcorder
  • Super 8 color reversal film - cuz I'm old school

  • hat that does not blow off the head - it's said to be windy in Iceland
  • hiking boots and thick socks - so as not to get blisters whilst ascending volcanos and traversing glaciers!
  • first aid for after volcanic and glacial ascents and descents
  • nifty mountain climbing toys
  • 3 pair jeans - one new, one old and comfey, one not blue

  • 35mm film camera
  • mini backpack  - to carry all the cool hiking gear
  • books to read on the trip - I'm finally going to finish Anna Karenina!

  • 2 sports bras, 3 regular
  • 2 button down shirts

No comments: